Accessibility Services Center
Referral for Disability Services Program and Counseling
HINTS TO HELP Faculty
REFERRAL FOR Counseling & Disability Services Program (DSP)
- Speak with the student privately.
- Approach the student with observable educational behaviors that reveal difficulty with the subject matter. For instance, I noticed you didn’t complete your exam on time? Ask if this happens in other classes and in past schooling.
- Emphasize your concern regarding the student’s success in your class.
- Understand that other disabilities or medical conditions may mimic a learning disability.
- Avoid using labeling language like “learning disability”.
- Focus on the student’s “learning difficulty” and access to services that could help.
- Be Aware all our DSP students are asked to sign a consent of release of information allowing faculty to discuss their progress with us.
- Encourage your student to follow-up with a counselor who may assist them with study strategies, accommodations and other problem solving techniques.