Hello Solano Community College,
SCC is required under Ed Code 32282 to conduct annual safety drills for the protection of all employees and students. We will conduct the drill sometime between 9 a.m. and 11a.m. on Friday, September 30, 2022 for the Fall 2022 Lockdown/Barricade Drill. The drill will last 10 minutes. All four campuses will participate in the drill. The exact drill time is not published, as this compromises safety, and diminishes the realistic intent of emergency training. This drill is critical to prepare our campuses for certain kinds of emergencies. All students, faculty, and staff who are on campus on September 30th are required to participate in this life-safety drill. This Drill is only required for employees and students working/studying on District grounds.
We will be utilizing our Regroup and Solano SAFE Emergency Notification Platforms and all employees and students will receive Drill Notifications through TEXT, PHONE and EMAIL. Please familiarize yourself with the lockdown/barricade procedures provided below. Knowing these procedures could save your life or the lives of others:
WHAT IS A LOCKDOWN/BARRICADE?
Lockdown/barricade is implemented when there is an imminent threat of violence, or when directed by law enforcement. Lockdown/barricade is a protective action against human threat while Shelter-in-Place protects against environmental threat. Lockdown/barricade requires closing and locking doors and barricading with heavy objects. No one is allowed to enter or exit until door-to-door release by Public Safety. During lockdown/barricade, students, faculty and staff are to remain in designated classrooms or lockdown locations at all times until you will receive the, “campus is now safe” message from Regroup and Solano SAFE. This lockdown/barricade response is considered appropriate for, but not limited to, the following types of emergencies:
- Gunfire from an unknown location on campus
- Threat of extreme violence outside the classroom or building
- Immediate danger in the surrounding community
WHAT DO WE DO IN A LOCKDOWN/BARRICADE DRILL?
The following steps provided are recommended by experts in the active shooter/assailant training field.
- Notification of the drill will be delivered through Regroup and Solano SAFE.
- Campus doors with WIQ (digital locks) will be triggered to close by Public Safety.
- Clear all hallways; get students and staff inside immediately.
- Secure rooms by locking doors.
- For this drill only – Simulate the use of tables, chairs, or anything that can be moved to barricade the entry to your secured location.
- Once a room is secured, no one should be allowed to enter or exit.
- Direct all those in the room to remain still and quiet. Relocate against the wall least visible to the outside and most out of the line of harm.
- Close blinds and turn off lights. If the door has a window or a window next to the door, cover with paper or cloth.
- Turn off television, LCD projector, document camera, etc. The room should be dark and quiet.
- Turn off/silence cellphones.
- If unable to locate a secure room, quickly seek out a hiding place nearby.
- Remain silent in a secured location until the “campus is now safe” notification from Regroup and Solano SAFE.
WHAT DO WE DO AFTER THE DRILL?
- Unlock doors and turn lights back on.
- Field questions by students, and stress the importance of this training.
- Contact DPS if there are questions.
You will be notified that the drill has ended with an alert message by Regroup and Solano SAFE. We encourage faculty and staff to email their questions and feedback to email@example.com so we can collect concerns, questions, and then we can email the college a summary and assessment of how we did.
If you would like to schedule a safety walkthrough of your workspace to determine hiding places, preplan for other emergencies, or learn more about the drill, please contact the DPS at 707-864-7131 during business hours or the on-duty officer at 707-580-6526.
Thank you in advance for participating and keeping our campuses safe,
Chief Brian Travis
Department of Public Safety
Solano Community College
4000 Suisun Valley Rd., Bld. 1800B
Fairfield, CA 94534