Associate in Arts
Associate in Arts for Transfer
Writing and Reading
Criticial Thinking and Researching
Welcome To English
Are you interested in English?
Craving creative writing skills?
Looking for a creative and dynamic degree?
Our English Program is For You!
The Solano Community College English program teaches writing, critical thinking, reading, and research skills as they apply to the areas of composition, creative writing, and the analysis of literature. Course work in creative writing is presented in sequenced writing workshops and courses in literary publishing. Course work in literature explores primarily British and American writers through genre, survey, figure, and thematic courses.
By enrolling in the English program, students may complete transfer requirements to the CSU system and UC system as well as public and private universities both in and out of California to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in English, English Literature or Creative Writing. A Bachelor’s Degree in English may also include various emphases such as creative writing, composition/rhetoric, education, literature, or linguistics. Students who complete the A.A. Degree in English will also satisfy the requirements for the AA-T degree in English.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the English Associate Degree will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to compose and communicate using appropriate rhetorical patterns and writing strategies.
- Demonstrate college-level reading, writing, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance and influence of literature’s study of the human condition in shaping and reflecting intellectual history and cultural identity.
- Demonstrate, through the study and analysis of literature from a variety of cultural or ethnic backgrounds and sexual orientations, an ability to recognize and examine assumptions about difference and social norms and an understanding of how the experience of reading literature from different perspectives can better prepare one for meaningful participation in a diverse global community
- Explore and demonstrate through creative writing and/or analytical techniques, the practice and study of diverse literatures and publishing.
Careers in English include but are not limited to:
- Advertising Copywriter or Editor
- English Language and/or Literature Teacher
- Editor or Publisher
- Public Relations Specialist
- Technical Writer
- Grant Writer
Get in contact with the English program faculty for more career opportunities and information!