Child Development & Family Studies
Associate in Science
Certificate of Achievement
Associate in Science for Transfer
Understanding Development, Health, & Safety for Children
Welcome To Child Development & Family Studies
Looking to work in a classroom setting?
Are you seeking a dynamic and creative degree program?
Do you enjoy working with and being around young children?
Check Out Our Program!
The Solano Community College Child Development & Family Studies Program offers the comprehensive study of child development, strategies for child guidance, techniques for effective classroom interaction with emphasis on the child in the context of family and culture, and curriculum that enhances the development of the whole child.
Successful completion of this program prepares students to work in the field of early childhood education. Students will learn about child development, health and safety, observation and assessment, and techniques for effective classroom teaching including child guidance, curriculum development, and educating in a culturally respectful manner.
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree as well as the Early Childhood Education Certificate will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of child development theory, current research, and trends in the field, and their application to responsive practice in early care settings
- Demonstrate an understanding of the context of individual development including the centrality of family, culture, and community through developing techniques for creating meaningful relationships between home and school
- Develop curriculum and early care environments that are derived from unbiased observation and assessment of children’s interests and developmental levels
- Demonstrate reflective practice in their work with young children by building awareness of self as teacher, child as learner, and early childhood pedagogy.
Students who complete the Associate Teacher Certificate of Achievement will be able to:
- Understand and apply developmental theories from conception through adolescence
- Design a play based curriculum which supports children using developmental, inclusive and anti-bias principles
- Identify and analyze quality early childhood practices including professionalism, self-reflection, play-based holistic learning, multiculturalism, and relationship building to ascertain their impact on children’s development
- Demonstrate the ability to access community resources which support and empower children and families.
Career opportunities in Child Development & Family Studies include but are not limited to:
- Childcare Worker
- Preschool Teacher
- Kindergarten Teacher
- Child, Family, or School Social Worker
- Education Administrator