Financial Aid

Your Guide To Pay For College!

Cal Grant, Student Success Completion Grant and Chafee Grant Awards

Cal Grant

Empty heading

The Cal Grant programs are state funded and available to eligible California residents who submit the FAFSA or CA Dream Act application prior to the March 2 annual deadline. There are various kinds of Cal Grant—for up-to-date information on the specific programs, their eligibility requirements, and award amounts, visit:

Some Cal Grant awards are limited to four academic years, except for students enrolled in an institutionally required five-year undergraduate program or for students with baccalaureate degrees admitted to and enrolled in a program of professional teacher preparation. A student needs to take 15 units per semester or quarter, or 30 semester units or the equivalent quarter units per academic year, in order to graduate within four years. If you take less than 15 units per semester, you may lose this award before earning your BA/BS degree.

Note: Solano Community College Admissions & Records Office will prepare GPA verifications for electronic transmission based upon units completed or transferred in to SCC as follows:

  • 16 – 24 units for Re-established GPA
  • 24 + units for College GPA

Student Success Completion Grant

The Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) is a grant to support the persistence, retention and success for students who have received a Cal Grant award and are enrolled in 12 to 15 or more units per semester or 24 to 30 or more units per academic year. SSCG allocations are limited and vary by year, so this award cannot be guaranteed for all Cal Grant recipients. The award amounts are:

  • $1,298 for Fall and $1,298 for Spring for students enrolled in 12 to 14.99 units per semester.
  • $4,000 for Fall and $4,000 for Spring for students enrolled in 15 or more units per semester.

Financial Aid for Full-time Students

12-14.99 units / semester* = $1,298 / semester ($2,596 per year)

15+ units / semester* = $4,000 / semester ($8,000 per year)

Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.